[Coco] Re: The Lucky CoCoNut

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Feb 23 20:24:32 EST 2006

On Thursday 23 February 2006 08:40, Richard E. Crislip wrote:
>Hello Roger
>
>Yeah... I can recall a motorcycle accident that should have done me in
> 30 years ago just like it happened yesterday. The lesson for me was,
> "don't smoke maryjane while riding 8-).

So do I.  Twice, in a 2 week time span back in spring 1984, I'm sitting
on a suzi 550 in Ashland KY, at the same light in front of the Big Bear
grocery store, look into the mirrors and see a car coming up behind me
with no indication of a slowdown and stop for the light.  And twice I
kicked myself over onto the right side and gave it an ounce of good
gulf, jumping the curb into the parking lot, and then getting stopped,
and turning around to see that both the vehicle in front of me, and the
one I saw in the mirrors, totalled with heavy personal injury to the
driver of the rear vehicle in both cases.

Yeah, I've got an angel, the same one that gave me enough stuff to kick
my way free about 10 years ago when the transmitter tried to
electrocute me.  I give my angel thanks everytime I think about those
times, or the time when I'm on an old leaky (they all did) Honda 350F,
making about 9500 revs (that little sewing machine sized engines sweet
spot) in 2nd or 3rd gear coming up to the top of Freedonner Pass on the
road between Susanville and Chester California.  Leaning heavily into a
30 mph crosswind, I was maybe 2" from putting the left peg into the
pavement as I topped that piece of 4 lane each way road.  At the exact
top, and in the middle of this long sweeper of an 90 mph curve, the
wind switched to about the same 30 mph pushing me down where before it
was holding me up.  The left peg got shortened about 1/4", but the
tires held, and I used all 4 of those lanes getting it picked back up,
but pick it up I did.  I still don't know how, but I thank Dunlop for
making some awfully sticky tires, and an angel that managed to keep me
from collecting a whole lot of road rash that day.

I was still smoking then, but it was only tobacco, and I had to have one
before continueing my journey all 3 times.  I should remember the
brand, but since I haven't had one in 17 years now, those details are
not only fuzzy, but a never mind, its not important now.

As for ditchweed, I can't say as it ever effected me one way or the
other in the several times I tried it.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: