[Color Computer] [coco] OFF TOPIC! by golly..

Rod Barnhart rod.barnhart at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 11:00:37 EST 2006

> There is a collection of perl and python stuff called Spamassassin that
> you may be able to make work on that redmond based (spit, leaves a bad
> taste in my mouth to even come that close to sayng it) box of yours
> George.  I use it here on this linux box, and it catches and sorts to
> the JunqueMail folder, about 200 a day, with a very low false positive
> ratio, maybe one a day.  Its trainable so it will not recognize that
> same FP agan if you feed it spam (or ham) it missed and it will
> recognize it next time.  Bayes based for the most part although I also
> use rules_du_jour to keep the database up to date.
>
> It only takes me about 10 minutes a day for disposing of its output.
> The rest of the time, with anyplace from 500-2000 messages a day, is
> relatively painless.  But I am on too many lists too.
>
> --
> Cheers, Gene

I know there are some here who don't like the service for privacy
concerns (email should never be considered a secure medium to begin
with, but that's beside the point) but I use a gmail address for all
it's had a very low false-positive rate. Considering that 99% of
activity to this address is mailing lists, and mailing lists look a
lot like spam to most filters, I've been pretty impressed with their
anti-spam. About once every week or two, a legitimate email gets put
in the spam folder, but not much more often than that.

--
Rod Barnhart aka Wintermute (http://www.nitemarecafe.com)