[Coco] [Color Computer] Re: Let me introduce myself

Ward Griffiths wdg3rd at comcast.net
Thu Feb 2 18:43:42 EST 2006

On 02/02/2006 06:18 pm, James the Animal Tamer wrote:

> Also true.  However, while you could have it run under GWBASIC etc.,
> the result would not be what you'd intended when you wrote the CoCo
> code.  Also, given that GWBASIC will be using a 40- or 80-column text
> screen, and not the CoCo's 32-column screen, I'd expect a lot of
> printing to be going to the wrong places -- the equivalent of the
> Commodore's cursor moving PRINT characters would be the CoCo's
> PRINT at ...  Does PRINT@ work the same under GWBASIC as it did in CoCo
> Extended BASIC?  (In the MC-10, it takes a byte offset from the upper
> left of the screen... if Extended BASIC uses the same, and not an
> x,y, then I'd expect PRINT@ not to convert directly to anything
> that's not using a 32-column screen).

PRINT@ would take a scalar value in GWBASIC as in all of the TRS-80 BASICs.
The conversion is fairly simple once you set your locations to variables and
set up a function to do the calculation.  Might be that you were putting in
one corner of an 80x24 screen, but it was workable.  I moved a lot of stuff
from Coco and Mod 1 to systems with 80x24 in just that way.
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd at comcast.net

I think boys might benefit from owning a Barbie doll; every young man
should understand what an expensive proposition it is to cohabitate with
a narcissistic woman built like a stripper.  --  Tony Woodlief