[Coco] Re: Let me introduce myself (GW/CoCo BASIC similarities)

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Feb 2 18:00:55 EST 2006

On Thursday 02 February 2006 03:39, Richard E. Crislip wrote:
>Hello
>
>To continue this thread a little more 8-), I tried to move a CoCo
> BASIC word puzzel over to Amiga BASIC and met with the same troubles.
> Amiga BASIC was also written by Microsoft. Things just didn't work
> the same 8-). Like Farna, I pratically had to rewrite that entire
> thing. But it WAS fun.

Not only that, but the amiga basic written by M$ was busted, big time,
from the git-go.  It seems someone there thought that the amiga's
limited 24 bit address buss was an eternal thing.  But the first person
to put a bigger full 32 bit cpu, (didn't everybody?) found different.
The problem was that, even though M$ was told about it, their stupid
coders still tried to use the upper 8 bits of an address to hide data
since it appeared it was otherwise unused space in a machine with only
the 68000's 24 bit address space.  On a 68000 it was just unstable, but
anything bigger and it went boom...

Needless to say I nuked that pile of steaming poo, and bought a copy of
SAS/C and never looked back.  I used it, a lot in those days.  Its
still sitting on the shelf about 3 feet away, the last version, 6.58.
Lots of miggy stuff here, but the 30GB HD in my 64 meg 68040 equipt
2000 with a picasso-II video card, threw a rod and it lost its space on
my desk.  Its in the basement now waiting for a real collector to come
along.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: