[Coco] Proto CoCo

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Mon Aug 28 16:26:16 EDT 2006

On 28 Aug 2006 at 12:03, Ries, Rich [S&FS] wrote:

> A decode section might be nice; definitely buffered Addr & Data lines, and
> maybe (F)IRQ & the Bus Req & Bus Ack lines. I wouldn't need a box if I'm
> doing 1-off protos, instead a couple of legs on the bottom to prevent the
> protoboard from wobbling in the socket would be needed. Enough room would
> be needed for an EEPROM, a couple of PIAs, and glue logic.
>
> Crazy idea #1: run the signals to a socket on the far edge of the board,
> allowing piggy-backing of projects!

Actually this is not so crazy an idea. In fact it would be very handy if programable say with
jumpers.

> Crazy idea #2: have the wire-wrap legs come down in two rows, with 3/10"
> spacing between the rows. This would allow someone to plug the protoboard
> into one of those nylon prototyping boards. (Fooey! Don't remember the
> name! Must be getting old! They look like this:

What you are thinking about is called proto boards. They use wire jumpers and  have a
power and ground common rows for usage with dip and other discrete components.

Not all that bad an idea either. Could do it with wire wrap holes or actuall solder one of the
proto plug boards onto the board.

Add a bit more cost but far more reusable.

james