[Coco] Finally got broadband (ot)

L. Curtis Boyle curtisboyle at sasktel.net
Mon Aug 28 10:45:21 EDT 2006

After experimenting with a friends 300 baud modem in late 1982, I finally
got a 300 baud JCat direct connect Auto Answer ($167 Canadian at the time)
in early 1983. I didn't have a proper terminal program and ended up using
a really bad term program from Rainbow that only showed '*' for every 32
bytes received, and you had to switch to a view buffer mode in order to
see what you had received (and if you received anything more at this time,
it was lost). Can't remember what the name of it was, but at least it got
me started. Within half a year, upgrade to Color Compac (yay! realtime
text display!), and, using the REMOTE program from Rainboard (tried the
Rainboard BBS software, but didn't like it and wrote my own) starting
running the Mustang BBS.
     Went to 1200 (older Avatex with only partial Hayes compatibility),
then Zoom 2400 after 1986 Rainbowfest Chicago, then some generic 9600,
then Hayes 14.4K. In 1988 actually got onto the Internet; our University
Libray computer had FTP and Gopher, and actually did get some Coco stuff
 from there (like Kermit), before I new anything about the World Wide Web.
Ran at 14.4K with Nitros9 on the Coco itself, and on the net using the
local Freenet which used Lynx, so the Coco itself was doing the surfing.
Remember using my 6309 version of VIEW to figure out what [IMAGE] and
[LINK] meant if the HTML code didn't have ALT tags, just so I could figure
out where I was going. It was also my inspiration to support animated
GIF's in the 6309/NitrOS9 version of VIEW.
     Finally switched to a PC (for net access, anyways), and got 1500/128
ASDL (ISDN here was always disproportionaly expensive compared to 56K
dialup vs. ASDL, so skipped it entirely), which is roughly where I am at
now (they are doing some upgrades ,so speed may be changing soon). At work
we have 5000/384, which is nice...

--
L. Curtis Boyle