[Coco] Finally got broadband (ot)

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Aug 28 09:54:27 EDT 2006

On Monday 28 August 2006 07:55, Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:
>At 09:43 PM 8/28/06 +1000, David Roper wrote:
>>I started out at 2400, jumping to 14.4k then up to 56k, and 128k ISDN.
>>Now I'm on 1500/256k :) :) :)
>
>Children. :)

Yup, we do like to play Dennis.

>110 baud here in 1979, and some folks in this crowd remembering my funny
>story about the telephone guy having to come out from the central office
>and twist two lines together to get the Model I to work at the 300 baud
>upgrade, and give me one of the first private telephone lines in town.
>(There were 330 residents and about 100 lines available when I moved in.)
>
>Anyway, 27 years later I'm now on 5M/256k with a private local ISP
> serving fewer than 1,000 customers. My stepson built the system,
> Linux-based, all glass up to the pole 300 feet away.

Yeah, I've got fiber to the house, but it might as well be dark.  Weston WV
was the first, one way fiber cable system in the country, 16 years ago.
And its still mostly one way.  I got a dish a year ago because the cable
bill was up to $65 a month and still only 50 some channels.  So my FTTP is
dark/disabled.  The last time I priced network through them I'd have been
out the cost of the cable tv and another $50 a month for 256k both ways.
I was polite when I said what they could do with that pricing, honest I
was...

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)