[Coco] enable no-halt disto driver

Mike Pepe lamune at doki-doki.net
Mon Aug 21 12:01:36 EDT 2006

Robert Gault wrote:

> Your standard.bl is just what it should be. That means there is some
> hardware or OS problem in creating the boot disk.
>
> Did you boot with the 80 track disk on your real Coco or an emulator? If
> you can boot the 80 track disk on your Coco, can you read text files
> from any directory and ident modules from any directory without errors?

I've never booted this disk on an emulator. The only thing I did outside
the CoCo was use toolshed to edit the bootlist, on linux, with nano.

> You will not be able to correctly create a boot disk unless you boot
> from the NitrOS-9 distribution disk. If you can create a boot disk with
> an emulator but not with your real Coco, I would suspect a hardware
> problem either with the controller (or MPI if there is one) or a drive
> problem. At least check the drive speed with the strobe markings, as
> OS-9 is more sensitive to speed deviations than Disk Basic.

Not using an MPI at the moment. I think it might be a good experiment to
try and duplicate the original disk before I build a new one. Omniflop
may not make a perfect disk. I know Darren A. warned me about the way it
  formats floppies not being interleaved properly.

> You descriptions of the problem match random read/write errors which can
> have several sources. However, your first task is to prove you can read
> everything on the 80 track distribution disk using your Coco.

OK. I'm still working on that.

-Mike