[Coco] [Color Computer] Speaking of C

James Diffendaffer jdiffendaffer at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 17 06:19:19 EDT 2006

While I'm up at this absurd hour and on the topic of C compilers...
I have my development box back up and running and moved all my project
files over to it.  I'm starting to take another look at finishing an
SDCC port for the 6809/6309.

One important thing I decided to look at today was the peephole
optimizer.  Many of the 8 bit compilers from the CoCo era didn't have
peephole optimization.  SDCC has a nice peephole optimizer based on
pattern matching and it appears to be pretty well isolated.  It could
be possible to build a stand-alone peephole optimizer that *might* be
small enough to run on the CoCo.  That means that programs built with
an OS-9 compiler that outputs assembly language could get a speed
boost if they don't already have built in optimizers.  Let me know if
anyone is intersted.

Yahoo! Groups Links