[Coco] USR quad modems... (ontopic - really!)

Roger Merchberger zmerch-coco at 30below.com
Wed Aug 16 17:36:02 EDT 2006

So, I have an older USR Total Control system with quad V.34 modems on each
card, and prolly 12 cards in the system.

I was curious as to just what makes this sucker tick, so I pulled a card &
started looking at chip numbers...

Each "modem section" has:

a Intel 80C186 (same chip as in the Tandy 2000) - except they're rated for
20Mhz...

a TI/USR DSP chip, which is prolly useless outside of the intended use

2 each 32Kx8 static ram chips,

4 each 128Kx8 static ram chips

and lots of other 8/16-bit 74-series buffer chips & whanot.

So, *if* I can get a Dynamic-RAM -> Static RAM converter board designed for
the CoCo, I could upgrade 4 CoCo3s to 512K with each modem board.

Anyone have any use for some 20Mhz 80C186's?

Laterz,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger   | "Profile, don't speculate."
SysAdmin, Iceberg Computers |     Daniel J. Bernstein