[Coco] RE: Learning MW C :: C vs B

Ries, Rich [S&FS] Rich.Ries at Honeywell.com
Thu Aug 17 11:04:41 EDT 2006

In my work developing code for microcontrollers, I use C 'cuz dat's all
dere is! BUT, when it comes to analyzing information, I bounce between
AWK, C, and BASIC. The general rule of Thumb is:

For pattern-matching (RegEx) use AWK.
If the data needs to be filtered as a stream of bytes, AND StdIn/StdOut
can be used, use C.
If none of the above applies, OR if I need to access the serial port,
use BASIC.

I wasted hours trying to get a C program to open the serial port for
read/write. When I gave up and went to BASIC, it took "Open COM1: for
random as #1 len=1"

--Rich