[Coco] Re: Another NitrOS-9 Platform?

Leon Howell puritan_2076 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 19 18:29:58 EDT 2006

> Just throwing something out here...

Just throwing it back...

> A friend of mine here at UL is graduating with me in computer
> science.

Congraduations.

> He's a bit younger but had an Atari XEGS when he was a kid,
> and recently bought one off of Ebay.

*Very* nice computer. In my unwanted opinion, exept for the 6502, the hardware
was better than the CoCo.

> We were talking about the CoCo and the idea hit me:

Next time, duck, or try to catch it.

> wouldn't it be possible to take the 6502 out of
> that computer and replace it with a 6809 using a specialized
> daughterboard?

I prefer to do that with a 65816, since the atari was a pretty good machine to
start with, and put the '09 on a cartridge. Wouldn't that be easier?

What about porting NitrOS-9 to the '816? Anyone know how similar or different
they are? From what little I've heard, it seems like the order of advancement
is someting like 6502-6800-65802-6809-65816-6309, but I could be way off.

Anyway, it seems like a waste of a good atari to convert it to something
incompatible with even itself; adding a 6809 would be brilliant of course, but
please consider the second-CPU idea.

Develop a 6809 cartridge with NitrOS-9 for the Atari tomorrow and I'll order
one yesterday! :)

> I think this is a very cool idea and would open some cool opportunities.

Imagine Multi-Vue in 128 colors with sprite graphics!