[Coco] OT -- PC needs TWO Shut Downs

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Apr 3 22:24:20 EDT 2006

On Monday 03 April 2006 22:14, KnudsenMJ at aol.com wrote:
[...]

>OK, just did.  One other thing -- I get a lot of "icon rot", where
> after running an app, many files will show the wrong icon type.  I
> know  there's a HD cache where Windows keeps these, and you can
> refresh them by  deleting that file, but I've never done that.
>
>Sometimes I wonder if all these problems are symptom of flaky RAM, and
> bits are getting flipped here and there.
>Thanks, Mike K.

In which case there are several linux distros whose cd's contain a copy
of memtest86, or its small enough to fit on a floppy if that portable
has one.

Let it run at least 24 hours for a good test, which should be long
enough for 10-20 passes through that memory tortureing algorythm.  But
my intuition says it won't take more than 10 minutes to confirm your
diagnosis, if that long.

--
Cheers Mike, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: