[Coco] OT -- PC needs TWO Shut Downs

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Mon Apr 3 22:45:36 EDT 2006

Power Management could have an effect on this as could the BIOS shutdown
entries. As these vary from system to system, your on your own here. Just
make sure the entries seem reasonable.

There is a program that is better than CTRL-ALT-Delete for displaying what
is running in the background. EndItAll  http://www.pcmag.com/utilities/
displays much more information on what is running and has the ability to
shut stuff down.

I've seen occasional problems on my system which seem to stem from
combinations of nVidia drivers and DirectX versions relating to shutdowns.
No real solution but some games aggravate the problem.

It is interesting that you can power off and not require a scandisk run.
That indicates the drives powered down correctly but the video did not turn
off. Could be a video driver problem and you could try and update. You
could also look at msconfig/Advanced make sure that fast shutdown is
disabled. You should certainly try several shutdowns without having run any
programs to see if that makes any difference. Microsoft Knowledge Base has
some suggestions for troubleshooting shut down problems that are worth
looking at.