[Coco] [Color Computer] Opinion time

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Apr 1 18:37:50 EST 2006

On Saturday 01 April 2006 15:04, PaulH96636 at aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 4/1/2006 2:03:03 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
>
>yahoo at dvdplayersonly.com writes:
>>I  wonder why that is.
>>What experience did you have with this?
>>I  thought RGB is pretty much standardized.
>>George
>
>----- Original  Message -----
>From: <jdaggett
>
>>> The problem is most  standard RGB LCD monitors for the PC and Apple
>>> market
>>>
>>>will not work with the Coco3.
>>
>>  james
>
>The new monitors won't sync down to 15khz or so.  Note that the NEC
>MultiSync 3d
>will work from 1024x768 'all the way down to' the Coco-3's analog rgb
> range *and*, iirc,
>will also work with an Apple/Mac with the appropriate adapters.
>
>It would be interesting to see if we/someone could suggest to NEC to
> make a LCD monitor
>having the same capability as their MS-3d model, or better  !
>  -ph

Having dealt with NEC over another item, I can assure you that they'll
want an iron clad contract for a production run of at least 50,000
units.  We, and the amiga folks that remain, might be able to generate
sales figures in the 500 range if we all needed monitors at the same
time.  Nice dream, but it will never happen.

History of sorts:

We once had a video effects unit that was sold through an agreement with
Grass Valley Group, and the deal between them went sour, no fault of
ours, but to get parts such as the zif socket opening sticks that are
required to get a card out of the rack, we had to convince the parts
dept we wanted the sticks for a System 16.  Nylon, with grooves milled
in them full length, $275 a copy 15 years ago..  Any mention of it
being a System 10, which was what it was called before the breakup, and
they'd just say "sorry, no support for the System 10 is available" and
they would hang up the phone.  The fact that you may have had 100grand+
invested in it meant squat to them.  We bought it used from ktla, so we
didn't have that in it of course.

When RCA went out of the transmitter business many years ago, NEC came
in and essentially bought the bones & re-animated them, complete with
most of the old RCA personel which was cool cause they had a bunch of
smart people.  They actually brought to the NAB a few examples to show
the engineers that troll the aisles for such stuff.  They were
extremely well built, impressing the heck out of me.  But their
difficult reputation apparently scared the folks who sign the checks,
so sales were best described as flat.  That experiment only lasted
about 2 years, and since I've not run into one in the field, I can't
expound on the level of support it might have now, another 2 decades
later.  Supportwise, I've been keeping a GE on the air for 25 years
after Harris bought them, and I won't go into detail on the lack of
support they provide since Marge Brown retired.   She knew everything.
However, it was built like a tank, designed back in the 50's, so the
main expendables are tubes, fan belts & plumbing stuff since its water
cooled.  Except for 4-1000 tubes, everything is still available, for a
price...  About 2 more years and its done anyway.  Then I can say
truthfully that I am finally retired. :-)

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: