[Coco] FM-77AV video sync problems

John W. Linville linville at tuxdriver.com
Sun Apr 9 15:53:11 EDT 2006

Greetings,

I am trying to get my FM-77AV working.  I thought I might get a few
kicks out of it, etc...  I am ashamed to admit that this is the first
time I have attempted to fire-up the FM-77AV since acquiring it at
the FEST! auction a few years ago...

Anyway, the good news is that the machine seems to be more-or-less
working fine.  The problem is that the video never quites syncs well
enough to be usable.  I can see characters or graphics on the screen,
and I can even occasionally make-out some words (like the output
of mdir).  But, it is never stable enough for even the most basic use.

I have used both a brand-new SCART cable w/ the monitor that came
w/ the box from the auction, and a CGA-class monitor through the
"RGB8P" port.  Both have similar results -- just enough video to know
the machine is basically working.

I have frobbed every knob on the monitors, but none seem to fix the
sync issue.  There don't seem to be any such adjustments on the
FM-77AV itself.  The fact that both monitors act similarly (even
though they use different connectors) leads me to suspect the video
output from the computer...?

I am using the transformer setup that came in the auction to provide
the 100VAC to both the computer and the monitor.  I took the risk
and tried the computer in the regular 110VAC outlet and it seemed
to work just as well.  (I was afraid to try the monitor that way.)
I suppose this could be a 50/60Hz issue...?  What is the power cycle
rate in Japan?

If anyone (especially some former owner) has any suggestions, they
would be most welcome.

Thanks,

John
--