[Coco] CoCo bitbanger does 115200 bps !

Roger Taylor webmaster at coco3.com
Tue Apr 4 12:47:15 EDT 2006

Hear ye, Hear ye!

I'm proud to announce that the same exact code that I wrote for doing 57600
bps communications over the bitbanger port yields *115200 bps* on a CoCo 3
(or any CoCo with a 68B21) when the clock speed is doubled !!  Yes, it was
that easy.  Ofcourse, nothing at all about the process is easy, but
doubling the bps rate was a matter of just doubling the CoCo's clock
rate... but a 2mhz-rated PIA is required which meant the CoCo 3.

I just confirmed quite a few error-free transmissions from the PC to the
CoCo for displaying on the screen, and boy does it arrive fast and look
good!  I'm using a laptop and a desktop PC both to transmit in my tests,
and I'll be adding more sending devices to the list as soon as I can for
more testing.

I'm using 100% 6809 code with no hardware modifications whatsoever to any
CoCo.  We're talking original CoCo, original bitbanger port, original CPU,
original 6821 PIA,.. you get the point!

Any comments?  :)

--
Roger Taylor