[Coco] CoCo bitbanger does 115200 bps !

Roger Merchberger zmerch-coco at 30below.com
Tue Apr 4 13:05:40 EDT 2006

Rumor has it that Roger Taylor may have mentioned these words:

>Hear ye, Hear ye!
>
>I'm proud to announce that the same exact code that I wrote for doing
>57600 bps communications over the bitbanger port yields *115200 bps* on a
>CoCo 3 (or any CoCo with a 68B21) when the clock speed is doubled !!  Yes,
>it was that easy.  Ofcourse, nothing at all about the process is easy, but
>doubling the bps rate was a matter of just doubling the CoCo's clock
>rate... but a 2mhz-rated PIA is required which meant the CoCo 3.
>
>I just confirmed quite a few error-free transmissions from the PC to the
>CoCo for displaying on the screen, and boy does it arrive fast and look
>good!  I'm using a laptop and a desktop PC both to transmit in my tests,
>and I'll be adding more sending devices to the list as soon as I can for
>more testing.
>
>I'm using 100% 6809 code with no hardware modifications whatsoever to any
>CoCo.  We're talking original CoCo, original bitbanger port, original CPU,
>original 6821 PIA,.. you get the point!
>
>Any comments?  :)

Holy Crap?!?!? ;-)

That's so awesome - just for wonderances, about how big is the code? Could
it be easily ROMable on the end of a Disk Basic (8K) image? ISTR there's
about 1/2K space left over on the standard RSDOS ROM, but I could be wrong...

Congrats!
Laterz,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger   | A new truth in advertising slogan
SysAdmin, Iceberg Computers | for MicroSoft: "We're not the oxy...