[Coco] Why DECB is important to OS-9 folk.

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Sat Sep 10 02:51:09 EDT 2005

>From: jdaggett at gate.net
>Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 13:03:32 -0400
>
>Roy
>
>Something good could be said of both approaches. I do prefer the
>instant on of DECB. It lends itself better for embedded porojects.

And it does tend to have the best games, and the most advanced-looking
application programs (Color Max 3, Max 10, etc).  It's big advantage
is that you can take over the entire machine.

>While OS9 and Niros9 requires a learning curve and some
>familiarity with Unix would not hurt. I can't complain to much as

I think the learning curve for OS-9 wouldn't be so high if the first
thing everybody has to do wasn't to build a customized boot disk that
actually matches your hardware.

>learning OS9 and Basic09 made learning Fortran 77 real easy.  You
>cannot believe the similarities between Basic09 and Fortran 77.

BASIC in general tends to look like Fortran.  I believe that was part
of the original goal of BASIC.

IMHO, BASIC-09 looks more like Ratfor, or perhaps Fortran 90, rather
than F77.

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA