[Coco] Why DECB is important to OS-9 folk.

Ward Griffiths wdg3rd at comcast.net
Fri Sep 9 20:40:33 EDT 2005

On 09/09/2005 01:03 pm, jdaggett at gate.net wrote:
> Roy
>
> Something good could be said of both approaches. I do prefer the
> instant on of DECB. It lends itself better for embedded porojects.
> While OS9 and Niros9 requires a learning curve and some
> familiarity with Unix would not hurt. I can't complain to much as
> learning OS9 and Basic09 made learning Fortran 77 real easy.  You
> cannot believe the similarities between Basic09 and Fortran 77.
>
> j ust my inputs
>
> james

Got that right, James.  I was lucky, since I was doing tech support and
training at an RSCC so I learned Xenix before I had to deal with MS-DOS or
OS-9.  That made the OS-9 L1 manuals readable enough so I could set up the
first $1k timesharing demo system in SoCal (possibly the first on the
planet).  A 64k Coco with one floppy and OS-9, a 4k Coco with a Vidtex cart
and a kluged null-modem between bit-banger ports.  Assuming you already owned
two TV sets (generally a safe bet) it retailed for $1,000.71 including CA
sales tax and the Los Angeles surcharge with that month's sale specials.  A
bit slower than a Mod 16b Xenix setup, but about a sixth of the price.

The OS-9 manual had commands listed that implied it could be done.  Turns out
the manual was right.  Took less than a day to set up, including mangling and
splicing a couple of Coco printer cables.
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd at comcast.net

But today doctors are as dependent on Medicare and Medicaid as their
patients are.  The great narcotic of the welfare state has caused
consumers and doctors alike to lose faith not only in the free market
but also in the concept of voluntary charity.  Everyone has lost faith
in himself and in others.  -- Jacob Hornberger