[Coco] Re: Coco Digest, Vol 24, Issue 12

farna at att.net farna at att.net
Fri Sep 2 17:11:43 EDT 2005

Well, if you are eliminating backwards compadability it's not a CoCo any more. You have to admit that there is a total different feel to the machine when running OS-9 rather than DECB -- two different personalities. Adding a third by having a totally different system with little or no backwards compatability seems like a waste to me unless it's being written for a specific purpose, like using the CoCo board as a controller for something (that's been done -- custom ROMs for controller use). If a re-write of the ROM is done I'd think eliminating, or rather not worrying about, CoCo 1/2 compatability is feasible, but compatability with CoCo 3 programs would be a must -- unless the ROM was customized for OS-9 only.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Independent