[Coco] Re: Coco Digest, Vol 24, Issue 12

farna at att.net farna at att.net
Fri Sep 2 16:59:55 EDT 2005

Boisy, I understand you taking an insinuation that the products you help make are "pricey" as an insult. That fact is, they ARE to some. Can't be helped, some people will always think so. You can't make them cheaper than you and Mark do and still make a little profit for your trouble. Beleive me, I know what it's like to sell a product and work for $2.50 an hour -- I do that with my car hobby publication, and have for eight years now. You'll never please everyone! The ONLY way to get it cheaper than what you guys sell for is to build it yourself. Most don't have the ability to do so, a few (like James D., apparently) do.

The problem is that by taking such offense and "defending" the products so "vicously" is that YOU are becoming the mouth you so loathe. I don't think you should be so offended that someone thinks the products are high priced. For a 30 year old hobby machine they are a bit pricey, but there are no other makers. It's not that you guys have cornered the market and are gouging, it costs a lot and takes a lot of your personal time to make the things in small numbers. You shouldn't be expected to do it with no return or payment for your time. Most of us KNOW that and also know that the items are priced as fairly as you can. I know you're not making $20 an hour putting the things together, I'd be surprised if you and Mark netted more than I do with my magazine (about $2.50 an hour) after all expenses (except labor) have been added up. I KNOW it's mostly a break-even hobby for you.

You have no reason to be offended that someone thinks the products are high priced, you have nothing to defend. It's come down recently to a personal grudge you have against James D. It at least appears to a casual observer that he's trying to back off since you've taken such offense to his statements -- he wasn't trying to tick anyone off. It's time for YOU to bury the hatchet and take the grudge off the list. And I don't mean bury it in his James' back! It's time for YOU to be an adult in this matter, don't you think? He's not hounding you, he's tried to back off. How about you doing the same so the list can get back to a friendly place for discussion?

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Independent

> Message: 3
> Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 14:34:55 -0500
> From: "Boisy G. Pitre" <boisy at boisypitre.com>
> Subject: Re: [Coco] [Color Computer] Re: Why USB would be nice.
> To: CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts <coco at maltedmedia.com>
>
> John, you always seem to take the middle ground and try to keep
> balance on the list, and I can appreciate that.  That said, James
> Diffendaffer has repeatedly promulgated his disdain for Cloud-9
> through insinuation, whether you choose to see it that way or not.
>
> Minding one's own store is one thing, but he has "thrown down the
> gauntlet" and I choose to call him on it every time he insinuates
> that our products cost too much.  We've had this discussion before on
> this list, and I think the points Mark and I made were arduous and
> persuasive.
>
> I personally loathe big mouths, and that is exactly what James is --
> a big mouth.  I say this not only because he continues to talk and
> not act, but more so because he chooses to do while disparaging our
> efforts at Cloud-9.  I am not above criticism, but keep in mind that
> this is not an isolated incident.  There is a history to all of this,
> starting back to when he claimed that he could build it cheaper and
> better.

<SNIP>