[Coco] [Color Computer] Re: Why USB would be nice.

Boisy G. Pitre boisy at boisypitre.com
Fri Sep 2 15:34:55 EDT 2005

John, you always seem to take the middle ground and try to keep
balance on the list, and I can appreciate that.  That said, James
Diffendaffer has repeatedly promulgated his disdain for Cloud-9
through insinuation, whether you choose to see it that way or not.

Minding one's own store is one thing, but he has "thrown down the
gauntlet" and I choose to call him on it every time he insinuates
that our products cost too much.  We've had this discussion before on
this list, and I think the points Mark and I made were arduous and
persuasive.

I personally loathe big mouths, and that is exactly what James is --
a big mouth.  I say this not only because he continues to talk and
not act, but more so because he chooses to do while disparaging our
efforts at Cloud-9.  I am not above criticism, but keep in mind that
this is not an isolated incident.  There is a history to all of this,
starting back to when he claimed that he could build it cheaper and
better.

> James and anyone else don't need to give "deference" to anyone. Do
> you?
> Defending his projects is not a "slight to others" and their, possibly
> competing projects. What a strange idea.

Perhaps I should have chosen "professional courtesy" as the phrase
instead of the word "deference."  You're right, he does not need to
give it to anyone, but in not doing so, he will incur the criticism
of others.

> Here's my advice: when others say they will work on something, just
> encourage them. If they don't deliver, no one is any worse off than
> they
> were before. If they make good, everyone can be helped. Nagging them,
> taunting them, etc. is unproductive. Has that strategy every worked
> for
> you? There's an old saying, you can catch more flies with honey than
> vinegar.

You are attempting to paint me as a trouble maker and an instigator.
I reject that assertion, and maintain that it is he who uses these
tactics.

> And for chrissake, the personal attacks should STOP. It does no good
> whatsoever and sours the mood on the list. Can't we have a
> discussion of
> ideas without it getting personal?
> This whole thread has been about defending his own project idea
> (coco-usb), not criticizing the work of others.
>
> -- John.

His defense is, in part, based on an offense on Cloud-9's pricing
structure and products, and for that I will not be silent.

Boisy