[Color Computer] [Coco]Re: Transfer utilities

kiddspott kiddspott at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 11 16:09:54 EDT 2005

I would like to elaborate on something that I too ran into and worked my way around to use a newer machine with XP on it to use my emulator... I actually have a few of those USB Pen Drives and one is a Gigabyte sized one that I actually connected to my machine, went into the BIOS and setup the third boot option to USB Hard Drive...(the first two are CD-ROM and Floppy Drive)

I then booted to a floppy, and because the USB PenDrive was connectedto the machine before turning it on I was able to format the pendrive, load win95B on it, load my Machines drivers to it and have a working machine environment...
I then shut down the machine, pulled out the pen drive, booted to XP and plugged int the pen drive, and transferred all the files for my coco, Mess and JV tools to the pendrive in a root folder called 'CoCo' ...
After transferring all my coco files it was a mere shut down, leaving in the pendrive, and a reboot to myPenDrive, which is now C drive and has all the room, files and neccessary tools to emulate my CoCo2 & 3 on my XP box, without having to add another drive...

Bear in mind that I did all this, and was able to accomplish this because I actually have a newer machine that its BIOS supports booting to a USB hard Drive... It is importatnt to set this as a secondary or third booting choice such as CD-ROM, USB-HDD, Floppy... Or CD-ROM, Floppy, USB-HDD with the USB-PenDrive connected to the machine first, so that when booting to a floppy and desiring to load Win95 or Win98, that the pen drive is seen as a Hard drive physically connected to the system first...
Then when installing Win95/98/98SE**, they will not be needing external drivers to load to recognize the USB-HDD, but allowing the system BIOS and motherboard to do this for you... thereby saving yourself tons of time and headaches...

** (if you have the room for it... I personally use a licenced version of Win98-Lite to trim down the Win98 install and make it fit to the 1GB USB-PenDrive--removing things like IE5 and all uneccessary programs to make a'shell install' that works enough to run M.E.S.S. emulator)

I am currently able to do this and I find it increadible that I can get away with this even on the newest of machines, such as my 64bit AMD FX-55 processor system and motherboard...
If you have the time and a little money to buy a nice big PenDrive, give it a try... You will be amazed at how easy this can be accomplished and it can save you many headaches operating on your PC with a screwdriver !!

Oh yes, I think I need to mention that I did go into the BIOS and disabled any SATA drives and RAID controllers... this was due to the fact that there are currently no drivers that I can find for Win95/98/98SE that will install correctly and be recognized correctly in Win95/98/98SE ... So if you have these enabled you will find your machine's hard drives running in compatability mode and you might not see your CD-ROMS after it switches to this mode in Windows...

Consequently You should also note that any sized External USB Hard Drive that you might also have for backups can be formatted for Fat32 and used in this way as well... (just make sure that the drive is not holding any necessary files that you want to keep, is on and connected to the system before turning on your PC and that your BIOS has the selection and ability to 'Boot to USB Hard Drive')

I have been playing with this experiment and find it awsome to do, and that once I was done and had loaded Win98SE with the bare minimum of drivers and windows... it all works too well for me! I have complete cotrol of the system, and I did not have to open anything, play with Dual booting options and reformatting my Main PC drive or anything... I think it is the most feasable option yet...

Now if only we can get a USB-HDD, or PenDrive to be able to connect to a CoCo3 I would happily experiment on different ROM boot options and such!!