[Coco] UPS/Canada

Neil Morrison neilsmorr at hotpop.com
Fri Nov 18 23:59:19 EST 2005

UPS and Fedex charge a $25 (approx) fee for processing your shipment through
customs. This is in addition to the actual taxes. Shippers might do better
to use BorderFree

http://pages.ebay.ca/borderfree/

or

http://www.borderfree.com/en/consumers/index.jsp

 What costs can I expect to pay when buying cross-border?
Borderfree will calculate your total landed price before you approve your
purchase, this will include:

  a.. Product price in Canadian dollars - You will see a price of your
selected item in Canadian dollars. A daily exchange rate is applied in order
to ensure accurate currency conversions.
  b.. Duties - Duty rates can vary from 0-20% of the product price. The duty
rate is dependent on specifics such as material content, country of origin,
etc.
  c.. Sales Tax - Canadian customers must pay a Goods & Services Tax (GST)
to the Federal Government and a Provincial Sales Tax (PST) to the respective
Provincial Government. For some provinces, these two taxes are combined as
Harmonized tax (HST). These taxes are consistent across all consumer
transactions (retail, e-commerce, catalogue, etc.) and are paid by customers
regardless of the channel in which they shop.
  d.. Excise Tax - A few select products, such as jewellery, might be
subject to additional excise tax.
  e.. Shipping & Handling - Please refer to the retailer's policy for
further information.
Neil