[Coco] Re: Coco Digest, Vol 26, Issue 42

farna at att.net farna at att.net
Sat Nov 19 09:39:54 EST 2005

When you go to Wikipedia, view the license (GNU or something similar, I forget!). The article actually belongs to Wikipedia once put up. It can be used for other non-profit sites. There is at leas one advertising "encyclopedia" site that pulls Wikipedia articles. The site has advertising surrounding the Wikipedia article, but you view the article for free, so it still falls under the free use license. The license will spell out what credits you have to give Wikipedia for using the article.

If you think it needs a section added listing magazines or something, ADD IT! You don't have to log in to add, just hit the "edit article" and type what you want to add in. Yes, this can be "dangerous" in that idiots can add things that don't belong (I've seen that on a couple pages). But this is rare, and the whole idea behind a "wiki" is that enough knowledgeable people occasionally check the pages to keep them updated and corrected. Only an obscure article should have erroneous information stay in it for long.

Just remember it IS an encyclopedia and be as accurate as you can when adding. If something is questionable, put it in the "discussion" tab. If you're reasonably sure of something but not 100%, word it that way! "It is believed that 100 million CoCos were sold from 1980-1995" is okay -- dates and numbers might be wrong, but they aren't stated as hard fact, whereas "There were 100 million CoCos sold from 1980-1995" IS a statement of fact. "Most CoCo users believe... " etc., also works. This is just MY ADVICE as an editor. There are some guidelines on the Wikipedia pages.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Independent