[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] Looking for a Coco I 64k?

Mike Pepe lamune at doki-doki.net
Sun Nov 13 16:40:31 EST 2005

Richard:

> There were modifications to make a CoCo 64K back to the D board (although it
> was a pain on the D). I have an E board that was modified to 64K. Tandy
> always put 64K chips in for the upgrade to 32K, but they still called it 32K
> because that was all you could access from Basic. I've heard that the early
> 64K upgrades did use chips that were 'half good', but I don't know how
> reliable that rumor was. At any rate, they soon switched to good 64K chips.
> Programs that require 64K will run on my CoCo I without issue. Programs like
> Telewriter 64 do report back the 64K available.

The rumor is true. There are actually a couple of official 32k upgrades
to the older CoCo 1- one was two banks of piggybacked 16k chips. The
other used 64k chips that are "half good". Those boards have a jumper
labeled "HIGH/LOW" depending on which half of the chips selected the
good 32k bank was on.

I have one of each type in my collection.

Later CoCo 1's were available with 64k. It was required for OS9.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/A77XvD/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/CFFolB/TM