[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] Looking for a Coco I 64k?

Arthur Flexser flexser at fiu.edu
Mon Nov 14 04:11:37 EST 2005

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005, Mike Pepe wrote:

> Richard:
>
> > There were modifications to make a CoCo 64K back to the D board (although it
> > was a pain on the D). I have an E board that was modified to 64K. Tandy
> > always put 64K chips in for the upgrade to 32K, but they still called it 32K
> > because that was all you could access from Basic. I've heard that the early
> > 64K upgrades did use chips that were 'half good', but I don't know how
> > reliable that rumor was. At any rate, they soon switched to good 64K chips.
> > Programs that require 64K will run on my CoCo I without issue. Programs like
> > Telewriter 64 do report back the 64K available.
>
> The rumor is true. There are actually a couple of official 32k upgrades
> to the older CoCo 1- one was two banks of piggybacked 16k chips. The
> other used 64k chips that are "half good". Those boards have a jumper
> labeled "HIGH/LOW" depending on which half of the chips selected the
> good 32k bank was on.

That Tandy made the provision on the D motherboard for the possibility of doing
a 32K upgrade using half-good 64K chips doesn't necessarily mean that they
actually sold any machines or upgrades with such half-good chips, though.  Could
be they were just allowing for the possibility of doing so if prices of good 64K
RAMS remained prohibitively high.

Art