[Coco] RE: [Color Computer] Looking for a Coco I 64k?

Dave Dunfield dave04a at dunfield.com
Sat Nov 12 10:39:38 EST 2005

>> I don't know of anyone who ever paid for an upgrade from 32k to 64k.
>> Anybody with a question, I told them to buy the copy of OS-9 they were
>> upgrading to run and see if it booted.  Then come back and we'd sell them
>> the 64k button for $2.  (They were like $.25 from National Parts).
>
>Comment on the above -- I don't know of anybody with a piggy-back 32k upgrade
>ever paying Radio Shack to upgrade a Coco in any way -- the piggy-back job
>that they had to do themselves without the help of RS was more complex than
>any of the official Coco upgrades.
>
>The first 32k Coco I ever saw was right around the beginning of 1981, when I
>was instructor at the Las Vegas RSCC.  Bill Vergona and our tech did the
>upgrade during the tech's lunch break and he used the 32k button from a Mod 3
>that had been upgraded to 48k.

Obviously anyone who is comfortable piggybacking chips wouldn't be purchasing
an upgrade, however Radio Shack did sell a 64k upgrade and lists it as upgrading
a 4k/16/32k machine to 64k. I would immagine that there were some users who
not being comfortable with lifting the lid themselves would have taken the
machine to RS to have it upgraded... Perhaps all RS guys would have told them
to try it, but I'm wondering if any people actually paid $199 for a button
replacement.

Regards,
Dave
--