[Coco] cc6809 project

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Wed Mar 23 12:18:08 EST 2005

In a message dated 3/23/05 7:53:43 AM Eastern Standard Time,
boisy at boisypitre.com writes:

>Note  that 'use' becomes .include (with quotes around the filename),
>'mod'  becomes '.module', 'rmb' becomes '.blkb', etc.  In fact, all
>pseudo instructions have a '.' in front of them.

Years of using many assemblers have convinced me that pseudo-ops, such as
these are, are never the same from one assembler to another.  So changing  them
once again isn't so terrible (though I hope there are good reasons behind
that ...)

>Also, every label is followed by a ':'  and comments in the  comment
>field of the instruction line start with ';'.  In fact,  all comments
>now start with ';'

This makes the code more readable (as well as easier to parse by the
assembler), but will require lots of tedious hand editing to update older code  --
though the process could be automated, since the old assemblers seemed to  parse
label, op, operand, and comments fields just fine without such  punctuation.

>Of  interest to rma/rlink users is the .area tag.  This is how we
>distinguish code/data areas, etc.

The old RMA tags were OK.  ISTR the RSDOS assemblers didn't have  anything
along these lines, but in OS9 they are needed, and also needed if you  want to
ROM your code.

>Another interesting note:  hex constants are referenced as  0hXX, not
>$XX.

Seriously, why not go all the way and use 0xXX?  At least make "0x"
acceptable as a substitute for "0h".   Habit, ya know ;-)

Fortunately, you have not diddled with 6809 syntax such as < for DP,  > for
long addressing, etc.  About the time you change those, better  have lots of
hot boiling oil on the ramparts ;-)

--Mike K.