[Coco] Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Dennis Bathory-Kitsz bathory at maltedmedia.com
Tue Mar 1 08:15:55 EST 2005

At 09:57 PM 2/28/05 -0600, Allen Huffman wrote:
>Is it a BBC thing?  I know they had discs of programmes (but I didn't
>know if they did audio from TV series).

I looked at it again. It says it's from the radio series, but it has the TV
screen cover, so that tricked my memory of it.

I remembered correctly that it was a 2-LP set. It's dated 1979, Original
Records Ltd., 38 Long Acre, London WC2. Simon Jones and the crew in all the
familiar roles. It reads, "Based on the BBC Radio 4 series. Recorded in
July and August 1979 at Sound Development Studios."

And in an interesting look forward to the intellectual property debates of
the present day, at the bottom it reads: "When the events on this record
take place, only those who have not made tape copies will stand any chance
of being rescued."

I took some photos of it. Here:
Front http://maltedmedia.com/photos/hh-1.jpg
Open http://maltedmedia.com/photos/hh-2-3.jpg
Back http://maltedmedia.com/photos/hh-4.jpg

Though I was a Hitchhiker's Guide and Monty Python fan (I have their
multi-groove "Matching Tie and Handkerchief"), that was 20-plus years ago
and I had put all that behind me ... which is why the renaissance in that
comedy came as a bit of a surprise. I hadn't much been paying attention!
You guys probably know all about this record!

Dennis