[Coco] yellowing of newsprint issues

John R. Hogerhuis jhoger at pobox.com
Fri Jun 10 01:15:26 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 22:30 -0600, Michael Wayne Harwood wrote:

> I plan on publishing my results and opinions to my web page this weekend
> when I have done enough tests and scans to satisfy myself that I have been
> fairly thorough.  I am heavily leaning towards a scan standard of
> 300ppi/24bit for the glossy editions.  I think consistancy is important
> and the idea of picking certain pages to scan in one way, while other
> pages are scanned in another way will not only add extra work for the
> scanners

That's debatable. My old beater Microtek scanmaker e6 scsi takes much
longer to scan 24-bit color than it does 2-bit per pixel B&W. More time
== more work since I don't have an ADF. Also all those giant files will
take more time/RAM to transcode, open in a photo editor, etc.

> but also generate a product that is inconsistant from one page to
> the next.

Well at the very least the product is going to be inconsistant from one
issue to the next unless one person does all the scans.

But this is certainly a valid point. I guess personally I'm only
concerned about pretty up to a certain point. To me, mostly the
information there and the general look and feel is important (as in all
ads there, color where there was color). Whether one page is clean b&w
and the next is speckled color dots as opposed to everything being
speckled with color dots doesn't matter that much to me personally.

But I'll go with whatever is decided. I can probably scan a magazine or
two, if I have time this weekend I'll inventory my collection.
Incidentally I also have some TCCM and HotCoco, but not many.

-- John.