[Coco] Rainbow on Disc

Boisy G. Pitre boisy at boisypitre.com
Wed Jun 8 15:06:29 EDT 2005

These are good questions, Michael.

On Jun 8, 2005, at 1:50 PM, Michael Wayne Harwood wrote:

> I have a scanner with a document feeder, but I have found the
> quality to
> be much less when using it.  You can count me in as one of the scanner
> grunts.    I am also happy to donate magazines.
>
> I have a few other questions for Lonnie, and I thought perhaps you
> guys
> might have a few of your own.  I would be happy to include any of your
> questions in my next missive to him so that he is not deluded with
> hordes
> of email.  I'm sure my list of questions are not exhaustive...  ;)
>
> 1.  If a particular format is decided upon initially (PDF without
> OCR'd
> text) and upgrade the quality of the documents at a later time (PDF
> with
> OCR'd text and a searchable index) will there be any issues with
> providing
> free upgrades (free meaning no extra license fees paid to Lonnie) to
> persons who have already purchased the orginal product?

I would suspect anyone "upgrading" would have to return the original
CD or DVD.

> 2. If someone wants to purchase two copies do they have to pay the
> license
> fees twice?  I assume the answer to this is yes.

I would expect so.

> 3. I assume that the persons doing the work are not exempt from the
> licensing costs.  Just because I am scanning and doing work on the
> product
> does not entitle me to my own free collection.

I don't expect you to be exempt, but you should charge something
above what Lon-Lon is taking in.  It's your effort and time being
expended here, and I don't mind paying more for the entire Rainbow
Magazine on DVD.  I mean, that is just way cool!

> 4.  If a person owns a physical copy of Rainbow does this entitle
> them to
> make a "backup" of the magazine under the auspices of "fair use"?  I
> assume not.

Touchy.  My position is that no matter how long I have subscribed to
Rainbow in the past, or how many hard copies I have, I will still
purchase the entire digitized collection.

> 5. Does the $.25 per issue also include the "Rainbow on Disk" for that
> issue, or is that an additional cost?

Good question.  Try to get Lon-Lon to keep it in with the cost of the
Rainbow.

Now getting all of Rainbow on Disk along with the mags, that would be
cool!

Speaking of that, have you seen Zinio? (http://www.zinio.com/).  It's
a magazine reader application, and might be adaptable for something
like this.

At any rate, my vote is for PDF for the file format, unless someone
can come up with a smaller/better format that has good cross-platform
support.