[Coco] [Color Computer] Requesting .pdf help...

John R. Hogerhuis jhoger at pobox.com
Mon Jul 18 20:01:35 EDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-07-18 at 17:09 -0600, Michael Wayne Harwood wrote:
> I just took a couple of minutes to compile it (via ssh) on my web server and
> run a couple of quick tests.  I am seeing the same sorts of issues that
> concern me with the other .pdf encoders ...  It's the compression schemes
> being used that are the problem.  The .djvu compression seems to be the only
> one that keeps an incredibly high quality at low file sizes.  I will play
> with it (it being sam2p) some more to "make sure" that I have exhausted all
> the possibilities.

No doubt... I mentioned this program since it seems like you can pick
the compression method. What you'd want is a high quality but lossy
compression like djvu appears to be. Maybe a high res jpeg?

> On a slightly related note I have obtained permission from Lizard Tech to
> include their browser plugins with the DVD, and there are a whole slew of
> GPL'd and open source tools that I am checking redistribution details on.  I
> want to be able to put the DVD out with a full compliment of utilities to
> view the material without having to be dependant on a third party website
> that may or may not be around in 20 years.

Good idea. GPLed stuff should be clear for redistribution, you just
either need to provide the source code if asked either via a web site or
include it on the dvd.

-- John.

Yahoo! Groups Links