[Coco] [Color Computer] SDCC, Free Scott MC-10... Was: Multiple C compiler projects

James Diffendaffer jdiffendaffer at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 17 16:31:42 EDT 2005

I'm looking at the SDCC code generator... it will not generate as good
of code as GCC can and a 6309 version would be pointless.  I suppose
the peephole optimizer could take advantage of the extra registers but
the speed improvement would be around 5% max.  GCC would gain much
more from it.  But that's just a guess.  However, it looks like I can
crank out the changes *WAY* faster for SDCC than GCC... so we could
have a compiler going quicker.

Oh yeah, one other thing.  From the docs I'm looking at, the 6808
shares the same instructions with the 6803 (please let me know if that
is incorrect).  So, the MC-10 could actually have Free Scott ported to
it now... before the regular CoCo.  How funny is that?  :D

--- In ColorComputer at yahoogroups.com, "John R. Hogerhuis"
<jhoger at p...> wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-07-17 at 07:17 +0000, James Diffendaffer wrote:

> Hi James,
>
> Hmm... there's an existing project on SF (cc6809) to port the sdcc 8-bit
> hc08 compiler to the 6809. Not sure if you knew about that. We need help
> with moving the hc08 code generator to generate for the 6809. If you
> know about this stuff, there's already a little bit of momentum there.
> We lost momentum losing James Dessart, and could certainly use some
> help.
>
> I've committed to doing the custodial aspect of setting up the SF
> project and email and dealing with build issues. Everything is ready to
> go. But we need a new lead on the code generator and no one has stepped
> up.
>
> I think it would make sense to focus effort on one compiler. It seemed
> like we had concensus to focus on the sdcc port, abandoning the old gcc
> 6809 port as it needed too much work and GCC is targeted at beefier
> CPUs.
>
> Within the last week it seems we have two new initiatives (Boisy got C
> code for a 6809 C compiler, but I don't understand the license terms at
> all) and now a GCC 4.0 port.
>
> Of course whatever would get us a C compiler first is where we should
> focus. But before you get too far with GCC 4.0 you should take a look at
> sdcc.
>
> -- John.

Yahoo! Groups Links