[Coco] [Color Computer] C compilers, Scott Adams Adventures on MC10, blah blah blah

James Diffendaffer jdiffendaffer at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 17 01:50:40 EDT 2005

Ok, after looking at the 6803 and 6809... the instruction sets are
close enough that on some compilers it might be possible to use the
same code generator and different assembler.  Simple compilers
probably won't use more than one index register so that's no big deal.

Of the simple compilers I looked at Z88dk still looks pretty good.  It
started as small C and has been enhanced to where it's getting close
to ANSI.  If some things are fixed in SDCC it would be pretty good...
possibly better than the Z88dk compiler and it was designed to support
multiple targets.  Neither of those has a 6809 code generator though.
 The FLEX compiler... it's Small C all the way and way behind the
other compilers in features but looking at it can give a person an
idea of what code to generate for the 6809.  If anyone wants to look
at it's code generator, see the CC#.C files with the highest numbers.

GCC would probably require a custom version for the 6803.  I've just
started looking at it but the way it allocates registers is likely to
bring out any minor differences between the two CPUs.  The good news
is that a 6803 version could be built mostly by removal of stuff from
the 6809 version.  I'm looking at moving the 6809 code into the new
GCC 4 release at the moment... If I get it working I might see about a
6803 version.  The real potential of GCC can be released by expanding
it to support the 6309.  GCC is capable of taking advantage of the
extra registers.

Now... does anyone know of any good 6809/6309 math routines to build
the math libs on for any of these compilers?  Without that you might
as well use a Small C compiler like the FLEX one because you won't
have any floating point libs to link with.

--- In ColorComputer at yahoogroups.com, "James the Animal Tamer"
<emucompboy at y...> wrote:

> Think it'd be practical to port to the MC-10?  Did I mention that I'm
> trying to out-MC-10 everyone, or was that obvious :P

Yahoo! Groups Links