[Coco] [Color Computer] GCC 4.0 6809 Was: C compilers, Scott Adams Adventures on MC10, blah blah blah

James Diffendaffer jdiffendaffer at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 17 03:17:08 EDT 2005

I'm looking at changes in the 68HC11 code for GCC 4 and from the code
I've seen the 4.0 compiler ROCKS!
GCC knew about a target CPU before but the way 4.0 does it is slick.
I hadn't looked at GCC source in a while so maybe this stuff isn't new
to 4 but I sure hadn't seen it.  The people that designed this did an
amazing job!
The only problem is the existing 6809 stuff looks like it needs a
major overhaul.  It might be quicker to go from HC11 to 09 than update
the old stuff.  *If* I start this I might work on 6803 and 6309
versions in parallel so I can make changes for all versions at the
same time.  Most of the work is changing names and removal/addition of
registers. There are a couple code generator things that may need
reworked and that is gonna be interesting.

--- In ColorComputer at yahoogroups.com, "James Diffendaffer"
<jdiffendaffer at y...> wrote:
> GCC would probably require a custom version for the 6803.  I've just
> started looking at it but the way it allocates registers is likely to
> bring out any minor differences between the two CPUs.  The good news
> is that a 6803 version could be built mostly by removal of stuff from
> the 6809 version.  I'm looking at moving the 6809 code into the new
> GCC 4 release at the moment... If I get it working I might see about a
> 6803 version.  The real potential of GCC can be released by expanding
> it to support the 6309.  GCC is capable of taking advantage of the
> extra registers.

Yahoo! Groups Links