[Coco] Re: why you should stick with pdf

Ward Griffiths wdg3rd at comcast.net
Thu Jul 14 00:04:00 EDT 2005

On 07/13/2005 08:23 am, John E. Malmberg wrote:

> I have several magazine collections on CD-ROM now, and most of them have
> their own proprietary viewer that only runs on a limited number of
> platforms.  I think only one can be read on anything that supports HTML
> and ISO-9660.

Yup.  The MAD Magazine set that I have is very Win32 specific.  So the only
times I can read it I have to borrow a machine from my wife, as the only MS
stuff I have are BASIC ROMs, an occasional disk-based BASIC interpreter and
TRS-Xenix.

> 9 track Reel to real tapes ruled as a computer standard for a longer
> time than PDF has been around.  Try getting one read now.
> I have paper tapes from high school that I do not know if I will ever be
> able to read them into a computer again.

Paper tapes are easy.  Run them through a scanner.  I recall seeing
translation utilities around somewhere.
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd at comcast.net

"I predicted that if control of drugs were administrated by law
enforcement agencies, the result would be a black market more irrational
and widespread than that of alcohol prohibition and the growth of
enormous police-state repressive bureaucracy." Dr. Timothy Leary