[Color Computer] Re: [Coco] why you should stick with pdf

Ward Griffiths wdg3rd at comcast.net
Mon Jul 11 15:06:16 EDT 2005

On 07/11/2005 01:28 pm, John W. Linville wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 11, 2005 at 11:00:39AM -0600, Michael Wayne Harwood wrote:
> > I assume you mean that you personally would not want Rainbow on Disc if
> > it were in the DjVU format - can I ask why?  Knowing your reasoning would
> > be very valuable!
>
> Using an open standard and avoiding proprietary lock-in come to mind.
> I'd like to still be able to view the disks when djvu has disappeared
> from the Earth.  And, I'd prefer to have some flexibility in using
> whatever viewer or tools I need/want to use with the data in the
> future.  PDF has been around a long time, and many tools can produce
> (and even consume) it.  That is far more important than saving a
> little space on a CD/DVD.

The "little space" is a factor of five to ten.  More than happened with the
switch from GIF to Jpeg last decade.

Even if DjVu was dropped by the creators in the next year, the current viewers
will work on the gear you have now and probably anything you'll buy in the
next decade -- unless you throw everything away as soon as you're done with
it, not a common trait among those of us who maintain computers old enough to
drink.
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd at comcast.net

"I predicted that if control of drugs were administrated by law
enforcement agencies, the result would be a black market more irrational
and widespread than that of alcohol prohibition and the growth of
enormous police-state repressive bureaucracy." Dr. Timothy Leary

Yahoo! Groups Links