[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] Re: .djvu vs .pdf revisited

Michael Wayne Harwood michael at musicheadproductions.org
Wed Jul 13 07:38:52 EDT 2005

Ira's work in excellent, but I want better quality than that.  I have
found that resizing the images to a third of their size before publishing
to .pdf or .djvu generates much better results than if I publish from the
orginal 300ppi file.

A searchable index is in the plan, as is incluiding the text from a "one
pass" OCR for all issues.

I personally would prefer having everything on a single DVD for a variety
of reasons, but I want the majority of the community served first.  I do
not think that I am going to please everyone 100% but we must needs have a
majority rule.  If I had my druthers I would publish everything to a
single DVD in the DjVU format.

Regards,
Michael Harwood

> I'm not sure what you consider terrible.  The magazines on TRS-80.com
> were scanned at 200 dpi and they are readable but far from perfect.
> The scans I made of Hot COCO at 200 dpi were horrid since they used
> smaller print for listings and put them on a grey background.
> If I can read a program listing and type it in or see the part numbers
> on a hardware schematic then I think the quality would be acceptable.
>
> If it takes more than 1 DVD so that you can actually read it then I
> don't think you have a choice.  What I would suggest as an alternative
> is a searchable index for all the files on the first disk with the
> index telling you what disk to look on as well as what magazine and
> page match the search.
>
> Personally, I don't care about the adds and they could be compressed
> more than other pages.  But other people here seem to like them and
> changing compression levels from page to page would be much more time
> consuming so I don't think that would be practical even if it is possible.
>
> I don't think a multi-disk set is as attractive to me but if that's
> what it takes then go for it.

Yahoo! Groups Links