[Coco] Re: .djvu vs .pdf revisited - ISO-9660 level 1 names please.

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Wed Jul 13 11:01:34 EDT 2005

Michael Wayne Harwood wrote:

> I personally would prefer having everything on a single DVD for a variety
> of reasons, but I want the majority of the community served first.  I do
> not think that I am going to please everyone 100% but we must needs have a
> majority rule.  If I had my druthers I would publish everything to a
> single DVD in the DjVU format.

I really do not have a strong preference of PDF over DjVU.  To read DjVU
on my OpenVMS system I would probably have to port a viewer, and would
only have incentive to do that if you put the DVD in that format.

And as I stated in another post, I have a number of magazines on DVD
collections, and most of them require their own proprietary viewers.

But what I would ask you to do is to make sure that the DVD is in
ISO-9660 level 1 filename and volume label format for maximum portability.

Unless the volume label complies with ISO-9660, I can not publicly mount
it, and that means that I can not easily use a gui based reader to
access the contents.

I have received a few photo-cds, and while everything inside of them is
ISO-9660 level 1 format, the volume label was not ISO compliant, which
means that I have to privately mount it and copy it's contents to view it.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network
Personal Opinion Only