[Coco] [Color Computer] Re: .djvu vs .pdf revisited

James Diffendaffer jdiffendaffer at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 13 04:08:55 EDT 2005

I'm not sure what you consider terrible.  The magazines on TRS-80.com
were scanned at 200 dpi and they are readable but far from perfect.
The scans I made of Hot COCO at 200 dpi were horrid since they used
smaller print for listings and put them on a grey background.
If I can read a program listing and type it in or see the part numbers
on a hardware schematic then I think the quality would be acceptable.

If it takes more than 1 DVD so that you can actually read it then I
don't think you have a choice.  What I would suggest as an alternative
is a searchable index for all the files on the first disk with the
index telling you what disk to look on as well as what magazine and
page match the search.

Personally, I don't care about the adds and they could be compressed
more than other pages.  But other people here seem to like them and
changing compression levels from page to page would be much more time
consuming so I don't think that would be practical even if it is possible.

I don't think a multi-disk set is as attractive to me but if that's
what it takes then go for it.

--- In ColorComputer at yahoogroups.com, "Michael Wayne Harwood"
<michael at m...> wrote:

> In my opinion the only question that remains is whether to have higher
> quality images (1mb or so per page) using more DVDs or lower quality
images
> (160kb or so a page) using a single DVD.  I would be happy to post
the files
> I created, but in the interest of quicker download times perhaps someone
> would be willing to post the files on a server on the other side of
a faster
> link than I have.
>
> Regards,
> Michael Harwood