[Coco] Re: Question - Rainbow Archives

John R. Hogerhuis jhoger at pobox.com
Mon Jul 11 03:37:58 EDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-07-11 at 00:01 -0700, Kevin Diggs wrote:
> John E. Malmberg wrote:

> > If something is to be distributed in PDF and is expected to be viewed on
> > platforms that Adobe is not directly supporting, then the author has
> > test each page on the other viewers.
> >
> 	I can confirm some of this. A few of the PDFs I downloaded from the IBM
> site for the PowerPC 750GX can NOT be viewed by xpdf on a Mac 8600
> running Linux. And as far as I can tell there is no PowerPC Linux
> version of the Adobe reader (Acrobat).

Yes, xpdf is not perfect. However, given the same software *generating*
every PDF for this project, I wouldn't expect compatibility with xpdf or
gpdf or kpdf or whatever to differ from one magazine PDF or one page of
a magazine PDF to the next.

If Michael picks xpdf as the lowest common denominator, and we do all
testing with it, I think we can have high confidence that the PDFs will
be viewable on all platforms. At the end, do a simple random sample of
the final result with other readers besides the lowest common
denominator, and I think we could get even higher confidence.

-- John.