[Coco] Re: wondering about 68k machines

Kevin Diggs kevdig at hypersurf.com
Mon Jul 11 02:48:34 EDT 2005

Hi,

Torsten Dittel wrote:

>>       What was the purpose of that tho?   Is there some advantage to
>>this configuration?     Why didn't they just extend the buses and
>>clock speed of the 6809 and maybe even give it a 6809 compatiblity
>>mode sorta like Intel did for the 8086 in later 80x86  cpu's?    Wouldn't
>>that have been sweet?  :))

Probably didn't want to dedicate any silicon to a compatibility mode
they didn't know who would actually use? The vm86 thing had a definite
target use.

> AFAIK the 6809 and the 68K where developed at the same time and planned
> to be a (68K) server and (6809) clients setup.

How certain are you of this? I was thinking (i.e. just guessing) that
the 6809 was a slightly newer design based on the following fact:

	Doesn't the 6809 have some indirect addressing modes that did not show
up in the 68k until the 020?

> Torsten

					kevin