[Coco] Re: wondering about 68k machines

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Sun Jul 10 20:05:46 EDT 2005

That may have been an original idea but that concept never materialized. At least
not from Motorola's doings.

They did produce a computer board that used a 6809. Configured with 64K of ram
expandable to 128K and 32K of video ram. Also onboard was a GPIB controller, two
serial ports a paralell port, and a 765 floppy disk controller.  Available OSes were
TSC Flex and OS9 Level 1.

A very large board, about 9x12 inches. The unit as far as I remember never
shipped. As employee, I got a chance at the bare PCB and started to populate the
thing.

It seemed from inside that Motorola never was really interested in getting into the
PC market. And when they did try it was way to late and what they did make was a
flop. They were better off just a supplier of chips and let someone else do the
marketing and manufacturering of PCs.

Their best bet was the route they went and that was embedded processors.Of which
the 68HC11E series was probably the most popular sold at one time. Sold tens of
millions of those buggars.

james