[Coco] Re: wondering about 68k machines

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Tue Jul 12 18:43:29 EDT 2005

Kevin

The MC68000 first shipped in 1979. The MC6809 first shipped I believe in 1978.
The external clock version, MC6809E, shipped first in 1979/80 time frame. The
MC68000 first shipped in 1979. There  was an overlap in the time frame of
development of both processor families. The 6809 was not so much a predicessor
of the MC68000.

The MC6809/09E were an improvement to the 6800. You have to realize that 16 bit
processors were extremely expensive. This was the bridge between 8 and 16 bit
processors. The 6809 had some 16 bit funtions like add and subtracts, compares
and memory retrieval and storage. It had enough 16 bit operations as well as 8 bit
operations that customers at that period could take advantage of and not have to
invest in the cost of 16 bit processors. I really doubt that the design team and
management ever thought that the processor would hang on in production until
1990.

ONe thing that Ritter mentioned in his Byte interview was that they did not want to
have pnuemonics for every type of instrruction. Instead they felt the 59 base
pnuemonics and post byte instruction did not require a programmer to remember
say 42 different transfer possible pnuemonics. In many ways the 6809 simplified
programming from the 6800. The MC68K was to address the true 16 bit world.

james