[Coco] Re: Question - Rainbow Archives

John R. Hogerhuis jhoger at pobox.com
Sun Jul 10 18:13:14 EDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-07-10 at 17:19 -0400, John E. Malmberg wrote:
> John R. Hogerhuis wrote:
> >
> > But PDF is a popular open standard and there are free open source
> > software viewers. Short of civilization coming to an end, we'll all be
> > obsolete before the PDF format will.
>
> PDF is not an open standard.  PDF is a proprietary format of the Adobe
> Corporation.  Adobe makes changes to the format at their whim, and
> updates what they make public about it at their convenience.

Hmm... I guess it depends on your definition of open standard. All
specifications for the PDF and PostScript standards are available for
free from Adobe. Sure you can't use their trademarks, but anyone who
wishes can implement the standard.

Certainly open enough for all intents and purposes.

-- John.