[Coco] Re: Question - Rainbow Archives

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Sun Jul 10 17:19:00 EDT 2005

John R. Hogerhuis wrote:

> But PDF is a popular open standard and there are free open source
> software viewers. Short of civilization coming to an end, we'll all be
> obsolete before the PDF format will.

PDF is not an open standard.  PDF is a proprietary format of the Adobe
Corporation.  Adobe makes changes to the format at their whim, and
updates what they make public about it at their convenience.

The Open Source PDF viewers are typically at least a generation behind
what Adobe is providing, and thus can not display all content.

The Adobe Java viewer requires the host to have a java class that is
only available on Macintosh, and that Apple has not given permission to
redistribute.  So the Macintosh is the only platform that the "portable"
Java viewer will run on.

If something is to be distributed in PDF and is expected to be viewed on
platforms that Adobe is not directly supporting, then the author has
test each page on the other viewers.

I had not heard of DjVU before these threads started, so I do not know
how portable it is.

-John
wb8tyw(at)qsl.net
Personal Opinion Only