[Coco] Question - Rainbow Archives

John R. Hogerhuis jhoger at pobox.com
Sun Jul 10 14:41:34 EDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-07-10 at 14:29 -0400, Leonard Miller wrote:
> If for some strange reason, this new format that is now being considered
> would become obsolete, would our original .25 entitle us to another copy?
> Just an oddball question.  I think this project is fantastic, but I was
> curious.
>
> Leonard
>

>From everything Michael has said, no.

But PDF is a popular open standard and there are free open source
software viewers. Short of civilization coming to an end, we'll all be
obsolete before the PDF format will.

Also there are free tools to convert PDF files to raw images, or any
other format you want. Under copyright law you couldn't redistribute
those images, but nothing would stop you from using them for yourself.

In fact, probably the biggest risk in purchasing DVDs: that eventually
the DVDs go bad and you can't look at your files.

So every once in a while you should make a new backup copy of the DVD.
No one knows how long one-shot or rewriteable DVDs will really last,
since they are a new medium. But if you remaster every 5 years or so
that would probably protect your investment.

-- John.