[Coco] [Color Computer] Re: DjVU

James Diffendaffer jdiffendaffer at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 9 16:26:08 EDT 2005

--- In ColorComputer at yahoogroups.com, "Michael Wayne Harwood"
<michael at m...> wrote:
> I have done some looking at DjVU and I am impressed!  Everything I
want to
> do with .pdf can be done as well with DjVU but there may be a price
to be
> paid for the format's youth....

Actually, it's been around for some time.  I saw a demo of their
fractal video compression back in the *early* 90's and even worked on
a project that was supposed to move military training videos from
video disk to CD.  I know they also had image compression as well as
video at that time.

They were using a plug in hardware card at that time to speed up
compression.  I *think* 386/486 machines were the machines it was
running on, CD drives were expensive and compression took days or
weeks... which are good reasons the technology didn't become popular
right away.

I don't know what happened to the project after I quit due to the
company not paying me.  (Funny how many companies there are like that)

Yahoo! Groups Links